A Day in the Life of a Bus Conductor

Although everything described in this article is true, the events didn’t all happen on the same day, nor to the same person. It is presented here to give you a flavour of what has become perhaps one of the UK’s most unusual jobs: a bus conductor on a public service.

The garage was filled with acrid smoke when I arrived at 8.30am to clock on. The service buses had already left and a pre-war single decker was being prepared for a private hire job.

After a few minutes of busman’s banter in the canteen, my driver left to check the oil and water in our rostered vehicle, an ex-Western National Bristol Lodekka. Having checked that my trusty Setright ticket machine was still able to issue tickets and, more importantly, that all the counters were working, I filled in my waybill with the opening numbers, straightened my conductor’s cap and went out to our vehicle.

I found my driver dipping the tank – the only way to check the level of fuel remaining. We were rather low, the last driver had perhaps run out of driving hours and couldn’t make a detour to the filling station in the remaining time.

All checks completed and kit stowed, I dinged the bell twice and we were on our way. As we travelled empty to Minehead, I filled my leather cash bag with my float and sat back to enjoy the view.

On the way in to Minehead we pulled into the Tesco filling station. I chuckled at the strange looks we got from the shoppers. It’s not every day you see a 50-year old double decker bus join the queue for fuel! Some may have wondered whether we would fit under the canopy but thankfully, being an open topper, we had nothing to worry about. Fully fuelled, we drove round to the seafront bus stop.

With departure time fast approaching, I waited by the bus while my driver went to check out the steam loco at the head of the train to Bishops Lydeard. He’s also a volunteer on the railway, which explains his divided loyalties! For my part, I had a rapidly filling bus which required my attention.

Before I could collect any fares, I was accosted by a rather loud gentleman who insisted that I listen to his recollections as a bus driver in the Midlands 40 years ago. He didn’t seem to grasp that I had a job to do but I eventually persuaded him to take a seat on the bus. Starting upstairs at the front, I worked my way round the bus, taking fares and answering questions.

Inevitably, one of the first people I came to offered me a twenty pound note. It pays to have a very comprehensive float ready! Having stowed a folding buggy and two bags of shopping under the stairs, I gave my usual speech from the front, in my best tour-guide voice. How far we travel, how high we climb, how steep Porlock Hill is, how good our brakes are (just to reassure the uneasy ones) and please mind the low branches. Oh, and the emergency exits are here and here (indicating over the side…)

Downstairs again, having repeated the speech (leaving out the branches bit), I checked the pavement for latecomers before giving the driver two bells and we were off. There are a couple of stops in Minehead where passengers are picked up so we dutifully stop if there are people waiting. At Bancks Street an elderly lady asked me “Are you the bus for Taunton?” She obviously hadn’t read our destination blind. I could have sworn the last time I looked it said “Exmoor Explorer” but I politely told her which bus stop she should be waiting at.

Leaving the town behind, we made a spirited dash down the main road to Dunster at a breathtaking 40mph. As we crawled up the gradient into the village, two middle aged ladies climbed gingerly down the stairs seeking the shelter of the lower saloon.

As I checked that the ladies were comfortable, I pointed out the ancient Yarn Market to their new travelling companions and immediately regretted it. Mr Retired Midland Red Driver piped up again with his broad accent and started regaling us with stories of his many adventures with different kinds of gearbox. I felt I had to at least look interested. Yes sir, this bus does have a crash box and yes, our driver is doing a great job so far. I nearly added “but we’ve hardly begun, just wait until we get to the steep bits…” but decided I had to leave and talk to the passengers upstairs.

Unfortunately my mind was still on hills and gearboxes as I climbed the stairs. We were now bowling along in fourth gear and the stiff breeze tugged at my conductor’s cap. Before I could grab it, the wind took it clean off my head and deposited it in the hedge beside the road. Some of the passengers thought it was a great laugh but I silently wondered if I would ever see it again. Fortunately for me, a villager later recognised it, picked it up and handed it in at the Post Office. They kindly rang our office and I collected it a week later.

It had rained earlier on and as we passed under a tunnel of trees, the upstairs passengers were assaulted by branches hanging low with rainwater. A man in the back seat said rather sarcastically “It’s all right for you, you can retreat downstairs!” He was right, and I promptly did.

Taking a rest at Wheddon Cross

There’s a long, long climb up to Wheddon Cross, the highest village on Exmoor. Eventually we reached the village and, as the driver slowed for the crossroads, a trail of water appeared behind the bus. The falling revs were unable to keep the coolant flowing fast enough through the hot engine and the result was an incontinent radiator. Luckily we’re used to this and, as the bus stood gasping at the bus stop, the driver and I topped up the radiator from the large container of water kept under the stairs for the purpose.

Springing a leak seemed to have broken out among the passengers too, as several left the bus to use the toilets in the nearby car park. Others left for other reasons, namely to walk for several miles through the stunning scenery of Exmoor.

The walkers had vacated the bench seat by the door so at last I was able to sit down for a while once we were safely under way again. A few more fare stages were passed and I dutifully acknowledged them by moving the dials round on my ticket machine.

By the time we reached Exford, we were a few minutes up on the schedule so I allowed some of the passengers to alight and visit the village shop or to take photographs. On starting away up the narrow lane, I again advised the upstairs passengers not to put anything of value over the side, like arms, unless they were sure they could get them back in again unscathed. I was of course referring to the foliage which was about to invade the roof-less bus along the narrowest lanes we would meet.

Speaking of meeting things, as we climbed Edgecot Hill in first gear we were confronted by a lorry coming the other way. Not only was it carrying horses, but it was driven by a suitably horsey lady who stubbornly refused to reverse her vehicle into a passing place which was in plain sight a little way up the hill. After some one-sided negotiations (we lost), I walked behind the bus, whistle at the ready, while the driver cautiously reversed down the hill until Ms One-Day-Event could turn off towards the stables. Back at the garage later, the driver told me how fortunate we were not to have the Southern Vectis Lodekka with its vacuum brakes. With the engine idling, he was sure we wouldn’t have had enough vacuum to safely reverse down the hill.

At long last we burst (if that’s possible travelling at 5mph) out onto Exmoor proper, with its vast open spaces and free range wildlife. I had no need to point out wandering sheep or Exmoor ponies grazing contentedly among the heather. But I did spot some red deer on a hillside to our left so I made sure everyone was able to see the graceful animals as well.

There’s an awkward junction where the moorland road meets the A39 from Lynmouth. As we approached it, I made my way to the front of the top deck to act as a second pair of eyes for the driver who at that point was unable to see up the hill to his left due to the overhang next to the half-cab. When all was clear, I pushed the buzzer twice and we carried on towards the fearsome Porlock Hill. While everyone was taking in the magnificent views over the Bristol Channel and the distant coastline of South Wales, the service 300 Scania hove into view. As we passed at a crawl, some smart-alec on the Scania’s top deck shouted out “Oy, move over!”

The signs along the road, warning of the perils ahead, made some of the top deck passengers edgy so I reassured them again that the bus was fully roadworthy, had an excellent driver, we’d been doing this journey for years without any trouble and they were not to take any notice of any strange smells. As the driver went down the gears to first, the queue of cars behind us grew, unable to do anything but wait and curse.

Sure enough, as I descended the stairs, I was greeted by the acrid smell of hot brakes, “Fragrance de Ferodo”. We safely negotiated the final 1 in 4 section and pulled in to let a stream of cars past.

Progress through Porlock village was slow, due to heavy summer traffic and very few places to pass. We dropped a few passengers off at the stop in the village who we would pick up later on our second round trip. A couple of people got on, just for the journey into Minehead. “2 for Minehead sir? That’s £4 altogether”. Bargain price for a 10 minute trip on a vintage bus! They were fascinated by the characteristic metallic clickings of the Setright ticket machine as it spat out their single tickets to Minehead, reviving childhood memories.

All too soon we had passed through picturesque Allerford and found ourselves on the outskirts of Minehead again. As we entered the built up area I got up to occupy the platform again. This was my territory and woe betide any scruffy urchin who tried to leap onto my moving bus!

Giving the driver one bell as we approached the town centre, we set down a handful of passengers before arriving back at the seafront. “Terminus, all change please!” Cheesy, I know, but the older passengers appreciated the old fashioned slang. Standing on the pavement offering my best smile to the disembarking passengers gave me a buzz as they made appreciative comments in return.

The afternoon trip was uneventful, except perhaps for the group of 13 disabled youngsters whose leader asked me, even before I’d had a chance to have my lunchbreak, if they could reserve seats on the next departure. She seemed disappointed when I told her that this was a public service and it was first come, first served. She resolved the issue by having her group board straight away. In the event, they were delightful and I enjoyed entertaining them on our leisurely jaunt around the moor in the afternoon.

Eventually the day’s work was done and, having first checked for lost property and sleeping passengers, we took the empty bus back to the garage. I made use of the journey by counting my cash and completing my waybill.

Tired, hot and dusty, the driver and I parked the bus among the other cherished heritage vehicles in the garage before bidding each other farewell until the next time. What other job could be so exhausting yet so very satisfying? I don’t know of another so, for the time being, I’ll count the days until my next duty!

Photo © M. Fowler

17 comments on “A Day in the Life of a Bus Conductor

  1. Keith says:

    We have just bought a setright manual ticket machine but can’t refill the ticket roll, any clues you can give greatly received. Bought it at the Marwell Classic Vehicle Show last weekend, great fun!

    • busmanjohn says:

      Hello Keith, thanks for reading my blog! Changing a ticket roll should be easy on a Setright ticket machine. The semi-circular container beneath the machine contains the ticket roll. Undo the hook-shaped lock and lift the cover off. This should reveal the remains of the old roll or, if it doesn’t have one, just an empty spindle. Place a new roll over the spindle with the free end facing anti-clockwise. Turn the black plastic knob next to the slot either left or right a little way. This releases the machine’s grip on the tickets as they pass through the machine. Thread the new tickets into the slot and through the machine until the paper appears at the top next to the dials. Once you have about one ticket length showing, turn the black plastic knob back the other way until it clicks into place. This should clamp the paper tightly. Replace the cover and secure it with the hook fastener. Now wind the handle to test the machine!
      If you have any trouble, let me know. I may be able to find some illustrated instructions on the net.

      • Dave Moore says:

        Only tip I would add is fold the leading edge of the roll back on itself for about an inch. This makes the roll slightly stiffer and easier to feed through the machine.

      • busmanjohn says:

        Thank you Dave, sounds like good advice.

      • ray nelson says:

        it was easy until you suddenly ran out of roll and the bus was full of passengers who had just boarded, by the time I had threaded the new roll they had alighted, the paper just refused to go through, the more I panicked the worse it got, when the bus emptied it went through no problem at all, the office never found out . bus conductor llanelly route L4/5 dafen 1967. of course the office always ensured there was plenty of roll in the setright so you didnt have to do it yourself, on this occasion the cover fell off and the ticket roll went down the gangway and off the open platform at the back of the bus, oops.

  2. Keith says:

    Thank you! I’ll have a go in the morning! I think there is some ticket paper caught inside so may have to be more technical than feeding the new roll through. Will be in touch no doubt! Keith

  3. Yvonne says:

    I am looking for a working ticket machine such as you describe. Can you tell me where I can get one and roughly how much I would have to pay. Also where do you buy the ticket rolls.

    • busmanjohn says:

      Hello Yvonne, Ebay is a good source for Setright machines. There is always a good selection listed and they range in price from £10 – £70+ depending on the condition and rarity. They come in a variety of types, some have been converted to decimal currency and some have a higher maximum issue value than others. The ticket classes vary, as do the counter window labels. Another source of tickets machines would be bus rallies where there are society stalls. They sometimes sell old machines to raise money for bus restorations.
      New ticket rolls can also be found on Ebay, from a number of old bus companies. However, if you are asking on behalf of a current operator or museum and need tickets printed with your own identity, contact Keith Edmondson on 01782 372305 or http://www.ticketrolls.co.uk/. His company prints tickets on a commercial basis although there is a minimum order quantity of several hundred. If you only want a short run, contact one of the big bus museums, they may have some old printing equipment on which they print tickets for their own use.
      I hope you find what you want.

  4. Darren Wilson says:

    Hi I have a very rare HH conductors badge would swap for an MM Drivers in the same style if you are interested. the Badge number is HH 51779 if you e-mail me with yor e-mail address I will forward a picture

    Cheers Darren

  5. […] A Day in the Life of a Bus Conductor November 2009 7 comments 5 […]

  6. Aaron Matthews says:

    Hello there, I am 23 and I am looking to join a heritage and classic bus preservation group and I would like to become a Conductor. I have read all the information on here regarding Conductors and find it extremely interesting. I was wondering how I would go about doing this and what items other than a uniform, Conductors PSV badge, ticket machine I would need/require, any help, guidance, etc would be gratefully appreciated.

    Thank you,


    • busmanjohn says:

      Hi Aaron! First of all, welcome to Busman’s Holiday! I’m glad you’ve found the prospect of being a conductor something that interests you. Good conductors are hard to come by and most groups would welcome a chap like you with open arms.

      If you let me know what part of the country you’re in, I can let you know about operators, museums or groups that may be in your area.

      Before you spend money on equipment I would suggest that you get involved with a local group first. They may already have things like a ticket machine and cash bag that you can use. The machines can be quite pricey if bought online.
      You’ve listed most of the things you’d need and a leather cash bag is the only other major item required. Smaller things like a whistle, T-key and a magic wallet (useful if you’re collecting money) can be added later.

      If you want to do more reading, go to my Bus conductors’ Rule Book post and download the PDF.

  7. Steve SD says:

    Some years ago (possibly 2003-2005) I worked as a casual driver for Redwoods Travel, Hemyock (Devon), mostly on morning and afternoon school runs into Uffculme, with occasionally some really nice PH runs to the seaside, Crealy Adventure Park and other such nice trips. I knew Brian Redwood very well, in fact Brian and his wife Ann, came to my wedding in Taunton, 1984. Anyway, I was tasked to take a coach on a school run on a few mornings to pick up pupils and run them into an independent school. For this I had to collect fares (yes, really) and I had to use a Setright. This I loved ! A few years later, I purchased a Setright from eBay. I replaced the strap and have this machine close to hand.

    Serial number of my Setright is 53903. It has another number on the same side, B102. I love the old-fashioned £ – S – D window, which (for some reason) is blanked in white. On the other side of the machine, bottom right corner, is a piece of Dymo tape which reads ‘Ex GMT’. On this same side is a counter window, with £ and S. Above that, of course, is the ‘Total Tickets’ counter. Everything about this machine looks and sounds good but I would like to show somebody the machine (more expert than myself) to check whether it actually works correctly. Haven’t got a ticket roll, but I seem to recall somebody telling me that there is something ‘stuck’ inside the workings – but not to try and fix it myself !!

  8. Steve SD says:

    Whoever took the photograph of Sir Humphry Davy… you did a great job ! It captures beautifully the conversation between driver and conductor. Conductor looks smart, with presumably authentic uniform, particularly the cap. A small (but significant) detail is that we can see the driver is wearing a tie. Doubtless this is the norm for heritage bus crewing, but it is so nice to see.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s